header-photo

Seven Days Left: A Pie in the Face


Saturday was a memorable day. Firstly, because I attended an extremely enjoyable potluck get-together that the friends held since we will be leaving soon. It was a great way to remember everyone. I'll keep that event private however and not post pictures. It certainly generated some good memories.

Saturday was also a day that was all about pies. In fact, a pie was thrown in someones face that day.

Origins
It all started two years ago with a conversation between myself and my good pal Jesse. We were out in service and discussing goals. Then the conversation turned to life goals, and I quickly brought up a life goal of mine: to throw a pie in someone's face.

We have all seen this on TV, someone throws a pie, someone receives a pie - in the face. There is something both hilarious and exhilarating about this. But sadly, most of us will go through life never having the opportunity to pie someone in the face.

I explained this to Jesse as we drove around out in service. The completion of the explanation resulted in a long pause from the back seat where Jesse sat. Finally, a voice mustered up the courage to utter the following statement:

If you ever leave here to pursue another life-goal, you can pie me in the face.........Jesse

I never forgot that heartfelt statement. There are few acts so daring, so bold, as to be willing to be pied in the face for a friend. The pact was made that day, forged in deep bonds of friendship. That was two years ago.


Shopping for the Pie
Jesse, Jaden, and I, as well as our invisible camera person Nicki spent saturday afternoon pie shopping. We immediately thought of Costco. This place has the BEST pies, and the are HUGE! Perfect!



We checked out the pie section thoroughly, looking for that perfect pie. Surely Costco will not let us down.



And of course, we couldn't pass up the samples.


Disappointed but Determined
What a bummer. Costco did not have the perfect pie. All the pies that came close to perfect, being real juicy and throw-able were topped with a thick crust, which we felt might be a little too painful on Jesse's sensitive face.

I thought of an image of fresh baked pies spinning in a carousel display case. Where have I seen this sort of thing? The picture below became clear in my mind:


Dennys
We wasted no time in our quest for the perfect pie




Nope, evidently Denny's decided to get rid of their fresh pie carousel long ago. Well, it was worth a try.

We were now late for the party. But we must find that perfect pie!

A QFC pie?
Out of desperation and despair, our discouraged trio sauntered into QFC.


We scoured the bakery section, looking for that perfect pie.


Boy Meets Pie
Oh wait, we found it! The perfect pie!


But what about it's texture, smoothness? This looks like the perfect pie, but looks can be deceiving. We decided to ask the QFC worker about the characteristics of this pie. She expressed how good the pie tastes and described it's characterized as smooth and creamy. Perfect! We were convinced that this pie was truly a favorite of hers.

Finally we told her that the pie was not to eat, but to throw in Jesse's face. She wasn't too happy to hear that, and strongly encouraged us to eat the pie rather than throw it.


Time to Throw the Pie
We had a great time at the get-together, but little did most people know that there was a pie sitting in the fridge in the kitchen that would be thrown that night.

A small group of friends gathered at Jesse's house.


Preparing to throw the pie
At last, after years of anticipating the day I would throw a pie in someone's face, it had finally arrived. I was giddy with excitement. I knew what pie I would throw, I knew where I was going to throw it, and whose face the pie would meet.


Jesse was getting a little worried I think. The anticipation was killing him.



The pie seemed a little flat. I think it needed some whipped cream.



It needed LOTS of whipped cream.


And then the pie was thrown.




Conclusion
Few people can say that they have actually thrown a pie in someone's face. I on the other hand, have reached a significant life-goal this summer.

The next time pie throwing comes up in conversation, like over dinner let's say, I will not be silently sipping my water. I've got a story to tell, and I will tell it eagerly and proudly. All thanks to the willing spirit of a good pal. Thanks Jesse.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that the sombrero from the party I see in your pile of things take and on Nickis head in Idaho? We're honored that you chose to take it with you. Hope it serves you well, as it was picked out with great care!! May you remember your friends from Granite Falls when worn! Be safe friends,good to hear from you. Looking forward to more!

Post a Comment