header-photo

Sleeping in the Dog


Waking Up
Today I woke up and slowly came to the realization that I am not sleeping in my bed at home in Washington. I then remembered I no longer own a bed in Washington, nor do I have a home in Washington.

Then I remembered that I am not even in the state of Washington but rather in the neighboring state of Idaho.

Then I remembered that I was lying in the belly of a 30 foot tall dog.



A Connection
Looking back, I didn't quite realize what was leading me here to the dog. I am certainly not a dog lover. I've known about this place for awhile, but as soon as I realized that I would drive to Mexico, I knew I had to first come to the dog.

Once I arrived, I realized how connected this place was with our current endeavor to sell nearly everything and bring a small trunk full of our stuff to Mexico.



The Dog
The dog sits out in the middle of nowhere. Absolutely no one would have predicted that out here among farms and fields would be two giant dogs, one of which is inhabitable. It defies logic and doesn't make sense. And yet there they both sit, silently making their contribution to the sleepy community of Cottonwood.


Behind the Dog
Of course, the dog is only the project. Behind every project are individuals. This project surely belongs to those who do not follow the crowd. No doubt they heard from the naysayers, the skeptics, and the fearful, but they pushed forward against the odds and negativity. We had the privilege of meeting these two fine individuals and were inspired by their story.


And now people come from all over to the visit the dog. Each have their own reasons for visiting. But last night it was our turn to spend some time inside the dog. We were the only ones on the entire property, except for the dogs, the fields, and the silence.


Conclusion
We are embarking on something unusual and very different. We have already done the difficult part: selling everything and leaving Washington. We now have to make it to our new home.

It was only fitting that we first drove straight east before starting our descent south to Mexico. Our experience with the dog exceeded our expectations - the perfect way to start our trip. We are glad we came to Dog Bark Park.

In the end, the dog wagged it's tail and nudged us toward Mexico. We left and pointed ourselves southward.


4 comments:

Evans Family said...

Hmmm. My nightly read at the moment is a book entitled "Inside a Dog". They should have put you on the cover. Did you get any interior shots? Were the beds round and redolent of cedar?

Anonymous said...

I knew that eventually you would go to the dogs! (house)

Have fun,
Steve Gill

Anonymous said...

By the way you did not sell everything, that cool hat is in every photograph! Sell the hat and be done with it! (To me?)

Steve

Toni said...

I tried to hold back, but curiosity got the better of me, so now I have to ask:
After a few days of travel, with just the three of you -Nicki, Cully, and the Sombrero, how are you all getting along?
I mean, I didn't have a chance to get to know the Sombrero very well, but it seems to be extremely mischievous so far...

Post a Comment