header-photo

Eight Days Left - Garage Sale Friday


On Friday we had a big garage sale. My dad showed up with his truck and we had so much stuff loaded onto the back that we couldn't close the tailgate. Lots and lots of stuff.


A garage sale is an interesting cultural experience. It allows you to interact with many unique individuals in the community on a very neutral playing field.

Here are some highlights:
  • One guy went from extremely interesting to progressively creepy. He started talking about his adventures in the Bering Sea and learning some indigenous Eskimo language words. I was hanging on to every word. Then his topics shifted to things less comfortable, and then he wouldn't leave, and well, anyway...

  • A mother and son duo felt compelled to touch everything. If you could click it, press it, twist it, they did it. They made the rounds, visiting every table doing this. They seemed to be enjoying every minute together as if it was some sort of bonding event. When the mother expressed interest in buying something, the son talked her out of it. This went on for what seemed like an eternity. Then they left empty handed. Curious....

  • A crow dropped a half a sandwich onto the garage sale pavement. Where this sandwich came from is anyone's guess, but somewhere in Granite Falls someone was cheated out of his/her lunch. The incredible part about this is that the half of sandwich remained intact after hitting the pavement. You would think that the top piece of bread would fly a different direction when the sandwich hit but no - this sandwich just layed there intact, still looking as if it was under a deli window. But there must have been something seriously wrong with the sandwich because - number one: a crow rejected it. And number two - it was dropped from the air and remained intact. I just want to thank that crow for distracting us from watching groups of people shuffling around and ogling at a bunch of junk on card tables.

  • One guy ran out of gas parked at the garage sale. While he had money to buy a tent and a heater off me, he let his car run out of gas. I don't really know what to think of this guy. While on one hand I really appreciate that he bought some big items off me, on the other hand he allows his car to run out of gas even though a gas station is just a couple blocks away. The more I thought about this guy the more I realized what I was witnessing. I mean, he was buying things essential to life: a tent for shelter, and a heater for warmth. But then he let his car run out gas while buying these things. Sometimes life is all about survival. For us the day was just a garage sale on a pleasant Friday, but this guy was in a fight for survival. And I saw the whole thing. wow....

One Last Ride
I sold my bicycle today at the garage sale. It wasn't to a stranger, but to a good friend. While grieving the loss of my cool bike an opportunity presented itself: My car needed a new air filter. 

Looks like I needed to ride a bike to the automotive store. The person who just bought my bike insisted I ride my old bike one last time, and he would go with me on his old bike. Well, ok, how could I pass this up? 



Nicki's Stuff
Nicki also sold her bike that day. It wasn't such a pleasant experience. The new owners not only took her bike but many of her possessions, laughing maniacally the entire time. As they mounted the bike onto the back of the car they continued their sinister laughter and carried off her possessions... (joking)


Conclusion
The garage sale was a huge success. We sold a lot of stuff, got to hang out with friends, I got to ride my bike one last time, and it was a nice summer day.

Going to remember this one for awhile...

0 comments:

Post a Comment